Перейти к публикации
Форум - Замок

Lern English with Ronnie

WildWind

Рекомендованные сообщения

Learn English Vocabulary: Beauty and Makeup

http://www.engvid.com/ How do you make yourself look beautiful? Do you wear makeup? Do you pluck your eyebrows? This English lesson is all about beauty, and the vocabulary we use to talk about makeup. I think you are beautiful just the way you are! However, around the world many people put a lot of effort into looking beautiful. Today, I teach you how to talk about the things we do to look pretty. Men, do you think this lesson isn't for you? I have some beauty advice for you too! Take the quiz here: http://www.engvid.com/english-vocabul...

TRANSCRIPT

Hello. Do you do this every day in the mirror? This is called "mascara". Today, I'm going to teach you about beauty -- beautiful vocabulary. The first one that I said is "mascara". We use this on our eyelashes. Now, it's very funny because when we do this, we always have to open our mouth. Guess what? We can do it without opening our mouth, too. But maybe we are afraid that we'll poke ourselves in the eye. I'm not too sure, ladies. So if you're interested in make-up or cosmetics, this lesson's for you. Let's begin.

Here, I have a list of verbs we use, and here are some nouns. So let's begin with the verbs.

"Put on" or "apply". These two verbs are the same. We use these when we talk about make-up. So you can "put on" mascara. So you're going to take your mascara, and you're going to "put it on" or "apply" it. Now, if you look at my beautiful face here, the mascara will go on your eyelashes. You have to be very, very careful. You have to say "eyelashes", not "eyelash". "Eyelash" is one. You, I guarantee, do not put mascara on one eyelash. It would almost be impossible. You'd have to very carefully -- it's not going to happen. So on our eyelashes, we put on or apply -- they're the same -- mascara. It makes our eyelashes longer and bigger, so you can wink more at people. Wink, wink.

The next thing that maybe you wear if you're a lady -- maybe if you're a man you wear this, too. I don't know. -- is eye shadow. Now, there are many, many, many different colors of eye shadow. This one happens to have blue, green -- some other colors. We also get with the eye shadow a little brush, so you can brush on the eye shadow. You can use your finger. Doesn't matter, really. I'm very sure that professional make-up artists would have very special brushes that would cost a lot of money. I am not a professional make-up artist, so I'm not too sure about the different kinds of brushes that one would apply mascara -- or eye shadow with. But I do know that it adds color to your eyelids. So underneath your eyelashes are -- the skin here, which is your eyelids. You can paint them whatever color you'd like. Okay? It's up to you. Purple. You want purple?

So we put on or apply mascara, eye shadow, and eyeliner. Now, eyeliner looks like a pencil, but it isn't. This is not eyeliner. I just don't have any eyeliner. But it would look like a pencil. And all you're going to do is take it, and you're going to actually line the outside of your eyes. Don't put it in your eye. It's going to hurt again.

So with the mascara for your eyelashes, the eye shadow that will go on your eyelids or the skin above your eyes, and the eyeliner will go around the top and bottom of your eyes. It just makes your eyes look bigger. Do my eyes look bigger? That might work, too.

Moving on from the eyes, we're going to move down under the eyes. Now, ladies, let's say one night you are out partying, talking, or drinking coffee a little bit too late. You wake up the next morning. You look in the mirror, and it looks like you are very, very tired. Your eyes -- maybe at the bottom here -- are puffy. We have an idiom or an expression for that. Very strange, but we call it "bags under your eyes". "Bags?" Now, it's not a shopping bag. You're not shopping at night. You're not doing Internet shopping. "Bags" just means it's really full under your eyes. So maybe when you wake up in the morning, you kind of have something that looks like this. You think, "How am I going to get to work with bags under my eyes?" Well, we have the magic of the make-up industry of something called "concealer". Now, a "concealer" basically will erase the bags under your eyes, and it will make your skin tone an even color. So if you have freckles -- I have freckles. "Freckles" are little dots on your face -- and you don't like them, you can use concealer to cover or hide -- conceal -- your freckles. Or if you have a zit. What's a zit? A "zit" is when you get a red point or a dot on your face. We call this -- the slang word for it is "zit". But in a more medical term -- and you can have many zits, don't worry -- is "acne". So acne is a skin condition. A lot of teenagers -- so people that are aged 12 to maybe 18 -- it's really common to have acne or zits. So the concealer will hide the zits on your face -- hopefully. Okay?

Speaking English: How to say P, F, B, V

http://www.engvid.com/ Do you want to sound like a native speaker? Practice your pronunciation with me! P, F, B, and V can be difficult to pronounce, especially since some languages do not have these exact sounds in their alphabet. In this lesson I will teach you how to easily start pronouncing these letters correctly. You'll also learn the difference between voiced and unvoiced letters. Improve your pronunciation of English words with me, Ronnie! http://www.engvid.com/speaking-englis...

TRANSCRIPT

Welcome to the pronunciation lesson with Ronnie. That took me a bit, but I've gotten it now. Today, I'm going to teach you the differences between one, two, three, four letters in English that are very difficult. But after you hear and see this lesson, it's going to be a lot easier for you. Again, with most letter sounds in English, the reason why it's so difficult is because in your language, maybe you do not have this sound at all. Or the sounds in your languages are very, very similar. So instead of saying a P, it's a mix between a P and an F.

So let's go through one thing that's very, very important when you're learning any word that you're going to say, and it is what I've written in blue here: unvoiced and voiced. Do you know what the difference is between "unvoiced" and "voiced"? I will teach you. What you've to do is you have to put your hand on your throat. Not too hard. Don't kill yourselves. And you're going to make this sound. Just the letter. You're going to "puh, puh, puh." Now, when you make the "puh" sound, you've to be careful of two things. The first one is your mouth. What is your mouth doing? Okay? When you make the P sound, your lips have to go together and blow out like you're smoking. So it's "puh, puh". Okay? I like to call this "kiss mouth". So when you make a kiss mouth, it's like you're going to kiss someone. You go, "puh". Or you can call it a "smoking mouth". It doesn't matter. When you are saying the P sound, you're going to make your kiss mouth, "puh"; you're going to put your hand on your throat; and you're going to realize that your throat or your vocal cords do not vibrate. So try. "Puh, puh". You should not feel any vibration in your throat. This non-vibration is called "unvoiced". So if something is "unvoiced", it means it does not vibrate in your throat. So "unvoiced" means no vibration. Okay? So the P sound is a kiss with no vibration.

Let's look at an example of a "voiced" letter. We're going to make the same mouth style, and we're going to blow a kiss or a smoke. But the difference between the P "puh" and the B, is that when we make the B sound, you have to vibrate your throat or your vocal cords. So you have to go "buh, buh, buh". Your lips are making the same movement, but the vocal cords are going to vibrate. So try this. "Buh, buh, buh." Then, if you do it without voicing it, it's "puh, puh, puh". So your lips are making the same movement, but your vocal cords vibrate and do not vibrate. So if it's voiced, it means that your vocal cords vibrate.

The next letter that a lot of people have problems with is the F. Now, when I make the F sound -- "fff, fff" -- I need to do something very important. I need to take my teeth and stick them out over my bottom lip. I like to call these "beaver teeth". Have you ever seen a beaver? Do beavers have teeth? Sometimes, the animal beaver has teeth. And beavers have very predominant -- very big front teeth because they chew trees. So when I say "beaver teeth", I mean you stick your teeth out like a beaver. Okay? So this sound is very different from the P and the B sound because first of all, your mouth is making a different position. So when you make the F sound, your teeth are out, and it is unvoiced. So again, you're going to put your hand on your throat and go "fff". The air is going to come out at the bottom of your teeth between your bottom lip and your top teeth. So it's "fff". It feels like you're pushing the air down. "Fff." With the P and the B, you're pushing the air out like you're smoking. With the F, the air is going down. So try. "Fff, fff, fff."

When we say the V sound or the "vuh", again, we're going to have beaver teeth. So you're going to stick your teeth out, except this time, it is voiced. So like the F sound, same mouth position, but you must vibrate your vocal cords. So it's "vuh, vuh, vuh." This is rather difficult, so I suggest you practice. "Vuh, vuh, vuh." It might take a little bit of time and a little bit of practice for you to get it. But the important thing for you to understand is that F does not vibrate, and "vuh" vibrates.

So a lot of people maybe have problems with the B and the F, okay? So you've to look at this. The B is a kiss mouth, "buh, buh". And the F is a beaver mouth, and it's "fff, fff".

Conversation Skills - Giving your opinion

http://www.engvid.com/ If someone asks you your opinion, don't say "so-so", or maybe. Tell the person how you feel. In this lesson, learn how to give your opinion! Don't be shy! http://www.engvid.com/conversation-sk...

TRANSCRIPT

Hello. Welcome to the lesson of giving your opinion. My name is Ronnie. Do me a favor. Go to YouTube. Go to my page, EnglishLessons4U, and subscribe to my channel. Watch out for imitators. I'm the real deal. Be careful. I'm going to teach you guys how to give your opinion. Now, you might think, "Ronnie, I already know how to give my opinion." If someone says, "Hey, do you like pizza?" And I say, "It's so-so." Your opinion is "so-so"? Guess what, that's a really bad answer. So I want to teach you some techniques to continue a conversation when you have to give your opinion. This happens all the time. Maybe you went to a new restaurant or you saw a movie or you went to a new pub or bar or restaurant and you want to tell people, "Oh, my god, it was great! I went to the new restaurant that opened up." And your friend says, "How was it?" And you say, "Okay." What kind of answer is "okay"? Was it good? Was it bad? Did you get diarrhea? Did you like it? What did you eat? So when someone asks you your opinion, instead of giving short, one-word answers -- "Yes." "I liked it." "It was great." -- you need to expand, and you need to give more information.

Here is a list of things that you should not say when someone asks your opinion. -"So? How was the movie?" -"So-so." What the hell does "so-so" mean? "So" means "yes" and "no" at the same time? If someone said to me, "It's so-so", I think it's bad. Don't say that. Maybe your friend and you saw the same movie, and someone asks your friend, "Hey, how was the movie?" Your friend said, "Well, it was a little boring, and there wasn't a lot of action. I didn't really like it that much." The conversation naturally would go to you, and you'd go, "Same." Same what? Please don't do this. It's so frustrating when you're trying to have a conversation with someone. Don't say "same". You are an individual. Please give the person your opinion. You can say something like, "Well, I agree. It was boring, but..." -- add your own spice of life; add your own opinion. So instead of saying "same", you can say, "I agree", and then add your information. The next one. Now, if you're a little shy, and someone offers you something, for example, "Would you like to have free English lessons?" "Sure" is a good answer. But if you're giving your opinion, for example, "Did you like the new restaurant that you went to last night?" "Sure." "Sure" is a really, really bad answer. What, again, you want to do is expand in your answer. This is the worst thing you can say if someone asks you your opinion or if they ask you a question about something. As an example, someone might say, -"Ronnie, are you from Canada?" -"Of course." "Well, excuse me for asking." You only are going to use "of course" if someone has asked you a very, very stupid question or a question that they already know the answer to. As an example, you could say, "Ronnie, you're from Canada. Do you have red hair?" And I'd say, "Of course I do. You can see it." So when you answer "of course", it does not mean the same as "yes". "Of course" is a very, very rude way to answer someone's question if they ask you something. So please be very careful of this.

"Are you enjoying your English lessons?" "Of course!" Good answer. "Maybe." "Do you like Ronnie, teacher?" "Maybe." Maybe? What does "maybe" mean? So "maybe", "sure ", "same", "so-so" -- garbage. Don't use them. "Maybe" -- are you not going to tell me the answer? Is it a secret? Don't say "maybe". Another one that a lot of you guys say is unnecessary unless you want to exaggerate something. So let's say, again, that you went to a new pizza shop, and you ordered some really spicy pasta -- at a pizza store. That's okay. So you get the pizza or the pasta; it's really spicy, and you eat it, and your friend goes, "Hey how's your spicy pasta?" You're going to say, "It's spicy." You do not need to say, "It's spicy for me" because you are the one talking. So you can just say, "It's spicy." Now, the way that we would use this correctly is to exaggerate something. Example: If you're having pasta that's really, really spicy, and your friend is having the same pasta dish, maybe your friend is eating it and goes, "This is not spicy for me." You're exaggerating that one is spicy and one isn't. So you're eating it; you're dying; you're crying; your face is turning red; you say, "God, this is spicy." Your friend's, like, "This isn't spicy for me." So you're exaggerating your point. Be careful about this one.

So these ones: Don't use them. This one: Only if you're exaggerating a point. These -- are the good ones. These are the good guys. These ones don't exist anymore.

How to talk about prices in English - Basic Vocabulary

http://www.engvid.com/ Let's go shopping and talk about money! You don't need to say something costs "five dollars and ninety-eight cents"! We shorten everything. This basic English vocabulary lesson will teach you how to understand prices, and say them like a native speaker! Test your skills with the quiz here: http://www.engvid.com/prices-vocabulary/

TRANSCRIPT:

Do you like shopping? I don't. But one thing I do like is saving money and getting a bargain or a deal when I have to go shopping and buy something. What I'm going to teach you is how to talk about prices or how much something costs or how much something was in English.

It is difficult, I think, to say numbers or listen to when people tell you how much something costs in English because we don't say, "Ten dollars and seventy-five cents, please." What we do is we take the number, and we divide it. So if I was going shopping, and I wanted to ask someone, I would say, "Hey, how much is this?" If I held the thing in my hand and said, "Excuse me. How much is this?" People would say -- or the person that was trying to sell it to you would say, "It is ten seventy-five." You do not need to go through "ten dollars and seventy-five cents." We just say the first number, then the second number. So this number is "ten seventy-five". Wherever the dot is -- or the decimal point -- that's where we divide the number.

This one is "two fifty". This one would be "eighteen twenty-five". Something quite expensive would be "a hundred and eighty-seven forty-two".

Now, we do not -- at least I don't -- buy things that are in the thousands. But maybe you're going shopping, and what you're buying is very expensive. If the number is over a hundred -- it's "one thousand eight hundred and seven eighty-seven". It's the same rule. We say the first number, and the cents we just say as a number together.

Maybe in your country you use a very, very high or big currency. Most of our purchases are not more than a thousand dollars, depending, of course, on what you're buying. But a typical grocery store or clothing store probably -- maybe, depends how much you eat or what you buy -- it's not going to be over a thousand. So you're not going to have to use "one thousand seven hundred and forty-two" a lot.

The other really, really easy thing is that if you don't really understand when people speak very quickly, like, "It's ten seventy-five." "What? Excuse me. How much is this?" "Three eighty-five" "What?" "Three eighty-five." "What?" "Three eighty-five." What you can do is when they type it into the cash register, you can look at the price. Or you can ask them "Please write it down." That way, you can actually see the numbers.

Now, I've told you that the person will say, "It is" -- the price. Once you have bought it, you can say to your friends, "Do you like my new shirt?" Your friend's like, "Oh, I love it! Oh, my God! How much was it?" And then you punch your friend for having friends that talk like that. You're going to say, "It was". So after you have bought something, "it was ten seventy-five." "It was two fifty." This is the only grammar, the only two tiny words that you need to use. Yes. No. Don't say this. Don't say this, "The price is" or "the price was"; "the cost is"; "I paid the money". "Did you really pay money?" Of course, you paid money. Do not use these expressions. They're very unnatural. This one is just strange and unnecessary.

So the next time you go shopping, try and listen; try and ask people questions; and listen to the price of things. Watch out for the evilness called "tax". People will always say, "Oh, that's eighty-seven thirty-five plus tax." And in Canada, it's not included in the price, so good luck shopping out there. Until next time, goodbye.

Slang in English - CHILL - "chill out", "let's chill"...

http://www.engvid.com/ I'm just chillin'. Let's chill tonight. He is chill. I am chilly. What the hell does all of this mean??? Learn how to use CHILL in conversation in English! http://www.engvid.com/english-slang-chill/

Improve your conversation skills with WH questions

http://www.engvid.com/ Where did you go? Who did you go with? Learn how to keep a conversation going by using who, what, when, where, why, and how! Now why don't you take the quiz?

http://www.engvid.com/conversation-skills-wh-questions/

Conversation Skills: DON'T BE SHY!

If you are shy, you NEED to watch this! Shy people have a hard time talking in social situations. I used to be shy too, but look at me now! In today's lesson, I'll teach you to overcome your shyness! First, I will help you understand the reasons that you are shy. Then, I'll give you lots of tips on how to start a conversation. Click on today's lesson -- don't be shy! http://www.engvid.com/conversation-sk...

TRANSCRIPT

Hi, there. My name is Ronnie. Today, I'm going to teach you something very fun and exciting and important. It's how to improve your speaking. Whether you're speaking English or whether you're doing public speaking in front of people or whether you're just speaking to a neighbor, someone on the bus, someone in a store, or a taxi driver, you might be shy. What does "shy" mean? "Shy" means you don't like -- or you're nervous -- to speak to strangers or to speak to other people. So if you are naturally a shy person, I'm sure you've heard people over and over again say, "Don't be shy! Come on. Don't be shy!" Easier said than done, isn't it, shy people? So I want to give you some tips or some pointers maybe to help you to be less shy. It's impossible to be 100 percent outgoing if you are naturally a shy person.

So today's lesson is how you improve your speaking. Don't be shy!

The first thing that you have to do is think about why. "Why am I shy?" There may be many different reasons. I'm just going to go through a couple of them. The number one reason, probably, if you're watching these videos, is because you are trying to speak a new language. Maybe it is English. And you are shy to make a mistake. You don't want to say something bad, funny, rude, embarrassing. You don't want your face to go red and they'll go, "Ha ha! You said a funny word!" Okay. That will happen. And you know what? Who cares? It happens all the time. I say funny things a lot, too.

Another reason why you may be shy is because you "talk funny". Lots of people have different problems with their mouths. Some people have a speech impediment. Some people have a lisp, so they don't pronounce words probably like me. Maybe you have a very strange or different accent than the other people around you. People often ask me, "Ronnie, where are you from?" And I say, "Canada." And they say, "No, you're not." "Yes, I am." "But you have an accent." "Yes. I have an accent. I talk funny. Who cares? I'm from Canada. Nice to meet you." So even if you do talk funny or you do have an accent, rock with it. Yeah. You speak differently. Good. Don't be like other people. Other people are boring.

This is a problem. Maybe you just don't like to talk. Okay? Maybe you are quiet. Maybe you don't want to talk to anyone ever, at all. That's cool. If you don't like people and you don't like to talk, don't force yourself to talk. Maybe you could write something. Maybe you could text message or email someone. But that's not going to improve your speaking. If you do not like to talk to people, that's your choice. But I'm trying to help you overcome your shyness. So let's go through a couple ways to actually do this. Don't be shy!

Just say, "Hi!" So if you're standing at a bus stop or the subway station or anywhere, and there's another human being beside you -- let's say that you're at a bar, and there's a beautiful girl or a very handsome boy. The quickest, the easiest, and the best way to speak to someone is just to say, "Hi! My name is Ronnie." Don't use "Ronnie", though. That's my name. You have to use your name. So just say "hi" to people. If they want to speak to you, they will start the conversation. They will say, "Oh, hi. My name is --. Nice to meet you." "Oh, nice to meet you, too." Uh-oh! And then, your shyness sets in because -- "What do I say? Shoes. I have shoes. Do you have shoes? Oh, God. I'm such an idiot. I can't even speak." Maybe the other person will have asked you a person. You can always ask people basic questions, like, "Where are you from? Why do you talk funny? Why are you shy?" All those fun questions.

When you're actually speaking to someone, it's really important that you choose a topic that you like. So if I were to meet someone -- "Hi. My name is Ronnie." "Hi." "Cool. So -- oh, I like music. Do you like the Sex Pistols?" "Yeah." "Me, too. Oh, my God. No way! What other kind of music to you like?" So I like to talk to people about music. The only problem is not a lot of people like the same music I do. So you have to choose a topic that you like to talk about. If you're lucky, the other person will also like the topic.

The next one: Get a job. Now, this might be very strange for you to even comprehend, but I -- right here -- am shy.

Speaking English: How to say CH & SH

http://www.engvid.com/ 'Ship' and 'chip' are two words that have very similar sounds! It is difficult to say SH and CH sounds because you may not have them as two different sounds in your language! Your lips and breath hold the key to mastering these two English sounds! In this pronunciation lesson, I'll help you improve your accent by teaching you how to make these sounds correctly.

http://www.engvid.com/speaking-englis...

TRANSCRIPT

Hello. My name is Ronnie. It's nice to see you. That was very formal, very strange. What's happened to Ronnie? Today, we're going to do some pronunciation. I did it. I said the word correctly. I'm going to teach you how to say the difference between "ch" -- so CH -- and "sh", SH.

I'm not 100 percent on how many people really have problems with this, but I do know that if you speak Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, and any other languages, you probably have trouble pronouncing these two words because -- or these two sounds -- because you don't have them in your language. So don't worry. I'm here to help you. But please practice. The only way that you're ever going to get this -- aces -- or get it well is by practicing. You've got to tell your mouth what to do. Okay? We're going to do some exercises to help you.

The first sound is "ch", "ch". Think of a train, "Choo-choo!" So when you make the "ch" sound, you're going to bite the back of your teeth down, "ch". And your lips are going to be like so. Okay? It's like you want to show people your teeth, but at the back. The air is going to be pressed between the gap of your top and your bottom teeth. So it's "ch, ch, ch, ch, ch... Choo-choo!" So you can think of it like making a train noise. This word is "chair". Your turn. "Chair. Ch, ch, ch, chair."

Then we have something delicious, "chip". Maybe you like potato chips, so you're going to say, "I'd like some potato ch, ch, ch, chips." You don't want to say "ship". You're not going to ask someone for a "potato ship". "Potato ship? What is -- a ship of potatoes? Would you like an entire ship of potatoes? That is a lot of potatoes." So you just want a "chip" or "chips". Delicious.

Delicious. We have some "cheese". Again, the first part of this sound is the "ch, cheese". Good.

The next word. This part on your face is called your "chin". "Ch, ch, chin". What's a "chair?" A "chair" is something that you can sit on. So this is a really good drawing of a "chair".

Next word is what you do if you have gum or if you're eating something. Sorry, marker. You're going to "chew". "Ch, ch, ch, chew". We're almost done the "ch" sound.

One thing that we had a long time ago when I was in school because I am so young is "ch, ch, ch, chalk". A while ago, we didn't have these beautiful colored markers. We had something called "chalk". Probably maybe when you were in school, the teacher had, not a whiteboard but a blackboard, and would write on a blackboard with something. That little thing is called "ch, ch, chalk". Good.

So we've practiced the CH sound. Now, it is on to the "sh". I have done lessons before. So if you have problems with S and SH, please look on the website, www.engvid.com, and we have lessons on SH and S. But we're not doing that. What we're comparing is the CH and the S.

When you make the SH sound, you're going to put your mouth like this. It's similar with the mouth with the CH. Except "sh", you have to blow air very quickly out of your mouth. So you're going to be like "sh". When I was a child and as I got older, people would always say, "Shh! Ronnie, stop talking." They wouldn't say, "Chh! Ronnie", they would say "shh". So the sounds are very similar, but the S is going to take more power from your stomach. So you're going to have to protect or say the "sh" stronger. So "ch" is like this, and this one is "sh". "Ch, ch, sh". This sound is much longer and stronger than this one. So let's go through the "sh" side.

This word is "share". "Share" means if I have something and you don't have any, I will give you some; I will share with you. Okay? So you have to be careful, and you don't want to say "chair". "Can you chair with me?" "I don't think I know how to chair with someone. I can share with you, but I'm sorry, I do not know how to chair with you." This is a verb. "Chair" is a noun.

Transportation Vocabulary & Phrasal Verbs - GET ON, GET OUT OF, RIDE, GO

http://www.engvid.com/ I GET OFF a train, bus, or subway. But: I GET OUT OF a car or taxi. I RIDE a bike and a motorcycle. How do you get to work or school? Learn how to use phrasal verbs to talk about transportation, then test yourself on the quiz athttp://www.engvid.com/transportation-...

Hello. How are you? Today, we're going to learn about getting around. This means taking public transportation or talking about how you got somewhere or how you're going to go somewhere. All of the examples I've written in the past tense because somebody might ask you, "How did you get here?" "What? I flew because I have a magic carpet. That's how. Why?"

We have different ways of getting places. Verbs: You can say, "I took a 'bus', a 'train', a 'cab', or a 'taxi'." "Cab" and "taxi" are the same. Or you can take a "plane". So with all of these nouns -- "plane", "cab", "taxi", "train", "bus" -- you're going to use the verb "took". There are no exceptions. You cannot say, "I rode a bus. I rode a train." It's wrong. "Rode" means that you were on top of the bus or on the train doing some bus surfing -- didn't happen.

I hear people say this a lot, "How did you get here?" "I ride car." "Wow. What were you doing on top of the car?" If you "ride" something, you're always on top of it. What can you -- what can you ride? I can ride a bicycle. So "ride" literally means you're on top of something. Tell me what you can ride. You can ride a bicycle, a motorcycle, a scooter, a moped. If you're on top of it, you're riding it -- a horse.

"I go by car." No, no, no. These, unfortunately, are wrong. We don't say, "I go by car" or "I ride car." We say, very easily, past tense of the verb "drive": "drove". "How did you get here?" "I drove." You do not need to say, "I drove by car" because you're not driving a bus; you're not driving an airplane; you're not driving a train. Very simply, you can say, "I drove."

Another thing that I hear people say is, "I go by foot." "One foot? You have one foot? Did you hop here the whole time? You must be tired. You go by foot? Wow." Maybe you only have one foot. That's cool. You should drive or take a bus. Another thing: "I walk on foot." This means that you take your hands, and you literally put them underneath your feet and you walk -- if this is your foot -- you walk on your hands. This is painful. I do not recommend this. I would not literally want to walk on my hands. Please don't walk on your feet. Do not walk on your hands. "I walk on your foot" would be, "I'm sorry" -- walk on hands, walk on feet. You'd be stepping on your feet, and you would never get anywhere. You just want to say, "I walked." "How did you get here today, Ronnie?" "I walked."

Another thing that's really confusing in English -- and I understand why -- is when to use the phrasal verb "got on" or "got off", and when to say "got in" or "got out". So as an example, we would say, "I got off the train." Let's write that down. Or you can say, "I got on the train." Also, we use this with a bus. So you can say, "I got on the bus" and "I got off the bus." You don't need to use extra words. Like, you don't want to say, "I got off on the bus." You don't want to say, "I got the train off." Unnecessary. Please do not use extra words when you say this. You're just going to say, "I got on" -- the verb -- the noun. Or "I got off", the noun.

"Train", "bus", and the "plane", or an "airplane". So think about this: What does -- or what do trains, buses, and airplanes have in common? No? Nothing? No? Okay. A train, a bus, or an airplane has many people. You can think of it as something that is public or very large. So a train, a bus, or an airplane, you have to pay. It's really big, and you can fit many people on it. So you're going to get on or get off something that is very big. You're going to get off something that's very big. Or if it's public transportation, you can fit many people.

Conversation Skills - Learn new words and keep a conversation going!

http://www.engvid.com/ Do people sometimes use words in English that you don't understand? Watch this lesson to learn how you can improve your conversation skills and your vocabulary at the same time! Then test yourself with the quiz: http://www.engvid.com/conversation-sk...

Present Perfect or Past Perfect?

http://www.engvid.com "I have eaten." "I had eaten." What's the difference, and when do use each form? In this important grammar lesson, learn how to distinguish between past perfect and present perfect. You'll learn the correct form of each tense, and when each should be used. Then take the quiz at http://www.engvid.com/present-perfect... .

BURNED or BURNT? Irregular Verbs in American & British English

Learned or learnt? Burnt or burned? What are the correct ways to say spell and pronounce there verbs? Learn the differences between verbs in British and North American English!

Speaking English - How to order in a restaurant

Discover how to read an English menu and never worry about count or uncountable nouns again when ordering at a restaurant again! http://www.engvid.com/speaking-englis...

Slang in English - Bodily Noises - FART, BURP, YAWN, HICCUP, QUEEF

http://www.engvid.com/ Free slang ESL vocabulary lesson about body noises! Fart, burp, yawn, hiccup and know what to say to be polite! Learn some funny words, then take the quiz at http://www.engvid.com/slang-bodily-no...

Slang in English - PISS

http://www.engvid.com/ "Don't take a piss." "Don't take the piss." What's the difference? Piss has many meanings in English! Learn some slang expressions you can use in a pub or at a party! Test your knowledge with the free quiz at http://www.engvid.com/piss-slang

Speaking English - Classroom vocabulary and expressions

http://www.engvid.com May I go to the bathroom? May I be excused? Were you absent? Learn basic classroom English from a native speaker! You'll learn the difference between an exam and a test, as well as lots of common and important vocabulary and expressions. Then take the quiz at http://www.engvid.com/classroom-vocab... !

Conversation Skills - Speak with confidence

http://www.engvid.com Don't be shy! Use your English ability to talk to anyone! If you make a mistake, don't worry... just keep talking and you'll improve your conversation skills! Watch this video now to learn how confidence will make you a better and more interesting speaker.

How to Remember Vocabulary

http://www.engvid.com/ Remembering vocabulary is difficult! In this lesson, I'll show you five simple ways to remember new words that you learn. If you follow these suggestions, you WILL improve. Take the quiz on this lesson here: http://www.engvid.com/how-to-remember...

TALK, SPEAK, TELL - What's the difference?

http://www.engvid.com/ Learn when to use 'talk,'speak', and 'tell'. Many, many people learning English don't know when to use each of these words. By using the correct word in each situation, you'll sound a lot more like a native English speaker. It's an easy but very important lesson for English students. You can test your understanding by taking the quiz here: http://www.engvid.com/talk-speak-tell/

English Vocabulary - Look / See / Watch

http://www.engvid.com/ In English, we have three words to talk about sight, where most languages just use one! Learn which word to use when in this free lesson. Take the free quiz at http://www.engvid.com/english-vocabul... to test your understanding of the lesson.

Vocabulary - Borrow, Lend, Rent, Use

http://www.engvid.com/ This lesson teaches you how to these words properly in English: borrow, lend, rent, and use. Students often confuse these words. I explain which word to use where!

Learn English - TO & FOR

http://www.engvid.com/ I made this lesson about the difference between 'FOR' and 'TO' for you. Why did I use the word 'for' in that sentence, and not 'to'? Watch this lesson and learn when to use 'to' and when to use 'for'. Take the quiz at http://www.engvid.com/english-grammar... to make sure you've got it.

• Создать...